Thursday, November 08, 2007

The toughest parenting choice, so far...pt.3

So, today I had Skaterboy trapped in the car while I ran errands. I was very proud of myself. I wasn't stumbly or jumbly. I was very sincere and matter-of-fact. I told him pretty much what I told you guys. That I was torn about the right thing to do. That in my desire to protect him and his girlfriend, I didn't want to throw out all of Chowder and my teaching and convictions. That part of me wants to just give him some condoms but I didn't want him to think that was some sort of permission. But, most me just wants him to wait for all of the spiritual practical reasons that I've drilled into his head. That I wanted him to understand just how big a responsibility this was.

He sat and listened. He didn't ask me to shut up. He didn't melt into a puddle of embarrassment.

No ladies, he thanked me. In such a very sweet way. And told me that this wasn't anything that I needed to worry about anytime soon. And promised me that we could talk about this again. and again.

*yay me!*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay you! What a difficult conversation to have. I am highly impressed that you laid it all out there for him, although I can't say I'm surprised. You're way stronger than what you give yourself credit.

Anonymous said...

*sniff*...yay you, indeed! And yay skaterboy...

The Wadhwa Family said...

Yay, You for raising such a wonderful young man! I'm so glad that you had this conversation with him and have set the expectations for more dialogue. You definitely get "Mother of the Year" type recognition for taking this on and handling it so well.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay! Yay Cakes and Yay Skaterboy! (and I can just hear that huge sigh of relief you let go.) ;)

Ann said...

Yipee! Glad that you were able to have the conversation and that it went well. You're doing a great job raising your kids!

Tertia said...

Proud of you.

Now, can I call on you in a few years time to do the same with my kids?

x

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I read al the time but don't think I have commented before. I have a 13year old boy and so have been fascinated by the dilemma. I would also come from a very simular stand point as you on the whole issue. Thanks a million for sharing all this with us. It has been so helpful. I hope I do so well.
Fiona