Saturday, February 21, 2009

I'm cude! I'm cude! She said I'm cude!



OK. So she didn't really say I was cute. But I felt just like Rudolph.
I put a link to my blog in the personal information sheet I filled out for my journalism class and today I received a very fortifying email from my professor complimenting my family and then she said, "You're a terrific writer." *swoon*

I never used to have such weird insecurities before, but this school thing has really challenged my feelings of adequacy. As much as I have always enjoyed writing, maybe this isn't where my talents really lie. I mean, I think I sound like a rock star when I sing in the shower, but I would really just be one of the painfully embarrassing American Idol try-outs. Am I really just wasting my time? So, to have my first contact with my professor be such encouragement meant the world to me.

*singsong* off to do my homework

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case you weren't sufficiently fortified by your prof's email, I want to thank you for sharing your writing, your God-given talent, with us. As my 6th grade teacher, Sister Julia Marie, always used to say, "With every gift comes a responsibility." I commend you for facing the dragon of going back to school to hone your craft. That reminds me of what Rilke says, "We have no reason to mistrust our world, for it is not against us. Has it terrors, they are our terrors; has it abysses, those abysses belong to us; are dangers at hand, we must try to love them. And if we could only arrange our life according to that principle which counsels us that we must always hold to the difficult, then that which now seems to us the most alien will become what we most trust and find most faithful. How should we be able to forget those ancient myths that are at the beginning of all peoples, the myths about dragons that at the last moment turn into princesses; perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave."

Cakes said...

you and your Rilke.
;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, if the dragon fits....

Elizabeth said...

Your professor would have to be insane not to find your writing extraordinary.

Elizabeth